Sunday, February 22, 2009

Irene's Children's Stories

Hello again,

I will post more on my journey to publication. I hope perhaps some hopeful author will find this helpful.

After the Agency had seen the critique report, I was told that I now needed to have a full edit carried out, and they gave me a name and site where I could get this done.

I got in touch, and was informed of their fee. When I had paid this, I was allocated to an editor.
I sent him my manuscript, and hoped there would not be too many 'corrections' to do.

He was helpful in some ways, but made suggestions I did not agree with. He wanted to change words, which in my opinion did not improve the flow of my story.

When I 'challenged' this, he came back to say he did in fact agree with me, and perhaps the changes were not after all, necessary. (I started to lose confidence in him)

We battled on to the end, and finally reached agreement, but on my next book, I will find a different editor.

When the Agency was happy my manuscript was ready to start submitting to publishers, I was asked to set up a website for my book, under their 'umbrella'.
Although this was quite expensive, I was pleased with the result.
However, with hindsight, I now wonder if any publisher actually saw my website.

Marketing began, but slowly and in a 'low key' manner.
The Agency did this without charge, so I felt obliged to accept that 'this was the way it was done'

Six months passed, but with no real activity, and it seems the Agency had just put a synopsis on a site they hoped publishers looking for new works, would go to.

I now believe they just do not go searching sites for works, they have enough sent to them directly.

The next step was much better - real marketing, and I will tell you about that on my next post.

As promised - here is another short excerpt from my book. I hope you are enjoying it.

The fairground was full of children today, so the merry-go-round would need to work very hard.

Megan the swan was very popular today, and was very proud so many children wanted to ride on her.

Jake the boat was giving his biggest smile and trying to help the children imagine they were sailing on the lake.

Joanne the pony was very elegant, and had lots of older children riding on her back. She was enjoying herself a lot.

One little boy named Steven, who was holding an ice cream, climbed onto Karl the tiger, and he dropped it on the tigers head.
Everyone laughed and Tom came to clean the sticky ice cream away before the ride could start.



I will be back soon.
I welcome your comments, but please keep them 'on subject'

Irene.

No comments:

Post a Comment